Saturday, February 28, 2009

Our Journey Continued


Wednesday 2/25/09
We left San Jose on time and on our way to Bogota we ran into a storm. The pilot bravely tried to fly us through but to no avail, we had to land in Cali instead. That was a long and rough flight. Johanna and I contemplated staying in Cali for good and forget about living in Lima because neither one of us wanted to fly ever again. But due to some immigration thing we were not allowed to exit the plane so we sat for 2 hours while they refueled and the storm in Bogota passed. We were then back in the air and flew another rough flight to Bogota and then to Lima. We got to Lima around 9:30pm and no problems from there. We shot through immigration and customs as is we were royalty and we met Sr. Juan and Sra. Sonia. From there we were in a cab in the crazy traffic of Lima and by 10:30pm were sitting at the dining room table and eating one great meal prepared by Sra. Sonia. We are now all sitting and talking, I can’t lie, I am typing this post and they are talking in Spanish. I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open let alone try to understand what they are saying. So even though there have been some bumps in the road, our adventure is off to a great start and we cannot wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Saturday 2/28/09
We have been running around town trying to get the basics. We bought some pillows and shampoo because we enjoy sleeping and we do not like to stink. We are getting prices for an internet connection and that should be installed by next weekend. The main thing we have been working on is getting cell phones. I was able to bring four cell phones with me from the US with the understanding they would be able to be unlocked here and allow me to use any service. We gave one phone to Sra. Sonia because she wanted a phone with really big numbers and I am sure some of you know what I am talking about. We took the phones to the store (The Guy) and after some small obstacles I am going to use Sra. Sonia’s old phone and Johanna is going to use the one she brought with her. The phone numbers are 9 digits long which is a little different and all cell phone numbers start with the number 9. Just a bit of interesting information. I do not have my service hooked up yet but hopefully by the end of the day I will be able to call and talk to all of my friends and family here in Peru, wait I do not speak Spanish, I guess I will just have it just in case.

Pictures: The night we arrived and the meal Sra. Sonia made for us.

5 comments:

  1. Let me make sure I have this right ...
    Sra. Sonia is Senoria Sonia = Johanna's mother
    Sr. Juan is Senor Juan = Johanna's father

    ReplyDelete
  2. TG you arrrived safe and sound guys!!!Very nice pic!!my kids says grandma and grandpa and Bill !!!they didn't believe theirs eyes..very nice keep up with the blogs. sonia

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad ya'll are there safe and sound...Looks like you guys and Aunt Mim will be making that 100 plus hour drive to avoid the planes!! And by the way, just who were you referring to about knowing why Sonia needs a phone with BIG NUMBERS???? Tia Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see your pictures. Thank goodness the plane thing turned out okay and you are safely in Lima. Great to talk to you. Greg is checking on phone cards so we can figure everything out when you get phone service. Love you both lots and a big "Hello and Thanks" to Sr. Juan and Sra Sonia.
    Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. The place looks good man

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete

track web site traffic